The Borno State government has disclosed that 1,400 repentant Boko Haram members have been rehabilitated and released into the society by Borno State Military, and this was done under the ‘Operation Safe Corridor’ programme.
Babakura Jato who is the Borno State Commisioner, spoke on Monday that the said suspects had been released in three tranches since the ‘Operation Safe Corridor’ programme began as he further went to add that those released aren’t yet confirmed to be Boko Haram fighters but are individuals found in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Babakura Jato said, “There have been a series of releases. They were released in three tranches. The first set was released during Governor Shettima’s time while two sets have been released under Prof. Zulum.
“The total number of persons released is 1,400. Out of the 1,400, the majority of them are cleared suspects. These were people who were suspected of being members of Boko Haram and it was discovered that they were not.
“The rest are children of Boko Haram or actual Boko Haram members. I cannot give you a breakdown of the figure now for security reasons,” Punch quoted him as saying.
He added that if any person was rejected by his community for being a former Boko Haram member, the government would resettle that person. Questions on the allegation that some of those released are going back into terrorism arose but the Commissioner discards it as mere speculations.
He added that if any person was rejected by his community for being a former Boko Haram member, the government would resettle that person.
Giving a little clarification on the stigma that comes with once being a Boko Haram member, he said “I have not heard of that but we have had cases whereby people in the community rejected them. So, they return to the rehab centres and we change their location,” he said.
Still, this assurance doesn’t seem to change a thing as a recent attack by Boko Haram on Borno State stays fresh in the mind with a result of 30 dead and not less than 18 vehicles burnt.